Monday, October 18, 2010

Surrounded by...Haesindang Park

Well, I have been in Korea for a little over six weeks and it's finally starting to feel like I sort of live here. I am settling into a routine during the week of chatting with family and friends in the morning via Skype, going to work in the afternoon and then relaxing in the evening. Sometimes I take myself out to dinner or meet up with some other expats for the infamous fried chicken and beer. On the weekends, I try to find at least one interesting place to visit or thing to do that is totally Korean. I sometimes just choose a direction and GO! I may have a loose plan, but that usually just involves a general direction. :-) My pink bicycle is great for stuff in town, but my scooter is wonderful for short, little trips just outside of Uljin and even as far as Pohang.

This weekend I am hoping to go to one of the many festivals offered. Last weekend, my friend and I visited Haesindang Park near Samcheok on the East Coast of South Korea, about 30 minutes or so north of Uljin. What is Haesindang Park? Funny you should ask!

Haesindang Park is a fa
mous park noted by locals and rumored by foreigners. See, when a foreigner tells someone from his or her home country what this park is famous for, no one believes us. (I actually sent my parents and a couple of friends to Google before my visit) It's just the way it is. Why? So glad you asked!! It is because the park is full of giant phallic shaped sculptures and statues. Yes, really. If you are on my facebook, you have already been privy to some pics. If not, I will share a few here so you may get the idea.

Why these sculptures, carvings and such? Another good question. According to
http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/, the legend is as follows:

Legend of Aebawi and Haesindang – There once lived a young maid who was engaged. One day, the maid took her husband’s boat out to sea to harvest seaweed. Her husband dropped her off at a rock that was at a distance from the beach. After promising to pick her up later, he returned to the beach to do his work. Later, the weather changed, and brought with it strong winds and pummeling waves. The man couldn’t rescue his wife and she ultimately drowned. Since then, the village people caught no fish and some said that it was because of the dead maid. To soothe the spirit of the dead maid, the village people made several wooden carvings and held religious ceremonies on her behalf. After a while, the fish slowly returned and the villagers were able to live comfortably again. The place where the maid died was named Aebawi Rock and the building where the religious ceremony is held twice a year was named Haesindang. The ceremony is still honored today as a traditional folk event.


There is also a version of the legend that speaks of a man relieving himself into the sea and the fish slowly begin to come back after that. There is a statue at the park depicting that act. So, as it goes, it is a legend and though there may be several versions, the main idea is the same.


In addition to the park, there is a museum of folk art and there are many captions in English. It is nice to be able to read about the things in the museum, even if I don't quite understand the logic behind it. :-)


Regardless of how tasteless we as westerners may find this, this place was built to honor and appease the young virgin as the village would not have survived if the fish had not returned. Of course, Asians as well as westerners do find humor in many of the statues and everyone does seem to take a few tasteless pictures (as you can see by the next picture of a group of Asian tourist posing for a group picture), but it is all done in good fun and humor.


Perhaps we could learn something from this. Am I suggesting building a "Penis Park" anywhere in the United States? Uhmm, no. However, I do find it important that we honor and please The One in whom we place our trust no matter what others may think...


Until my next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment