Sunday, March 20, 2011

Deal or No Deal?

Yesterday I took a day trip to Pohang to visit friends and do some shopping. I did get one INCREDIBLE deal I simply must tell you about! I bought new glasses. Now, I know back home it would cost around $50 (at least) for an eye exam and I know some stores have cheap frames starting at around $39 or so, however, the average cost (based on an unofficial poll of my friends who buy glasses) is anywhere from $200-$300 for an exam, frames, and lenses. Well, dear friends, I left the eye doctor yesterday with an eye exam, frames, and lenses with a scratch resistant coating and easy-cleaning for 30,000 won (appx $27 USD). Yes, I am serious! Jealous? Read on...

I also found myself to be a bit hungry while trolling around Jukdo Market. As I made my way down the alley with all the fish and seafood, I happened upon some mighty tasty looking crabs. Now, I know back home you can find a decent crableg dinner for around $20 or so depending on the time of year and the restaurant. Well, how about 1 kilogram (appx 2.2 pounds) of delicious FRESH crab for only 15,000 won? (appx $13 USD) Yes, my friends, see my delicious meal that came with all of these delectable side dishes for a mere 3,000 won more. Yes, you see two oysters, mussels, shrimp, and a host of other Korean side dishes. I have yet to find a deal like this back home!


Now, on to the not so good deals. Every now and then one just NEEDS some ingredient from home to make life a bit more manageable abroad. Here are some our prices we have to pay (and are sometimes willing to pay) to enjoy the comforts of certain foods. (Prices courtesy of HomePlus in Pohang by the bus terminal)
One of my personal faves, Zesta Crackers...$5.00

How about some chocolate chips for about $6.00?
Hershey's Syrup for only $5.00 and real Maple Syrup from Canada for about $12.00?

To enjoy that expensive Australian steak you had to have, you can add your favorite A1 for just under $5.00 or marinate those pork chops in some Kikoman Teriyaki for about $6.00!
 
  
For a mere $6.00 you can enjoy your Special K and not pinch more than an inch!   
One must enjoy some Prego for about $4.50 per jar! While this is my preferred sauce, I won't pay that much.

So, there you have it folks. Deal or No Deal? What would you be willing to pay for these tastes of home? Funny thing is, the longer I am over here, the less I am willing to play for imports. I'm learning to do with what's available and am finding some American processed foods to be to much for my system to handle. I'm also becoming a better cook! :-) Of course, nothing beats a good, old-fashioned American burger with all the toppings! Yeah....I'd pay for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment