Thursday, June 30, 2011

12 Weeks left...

This time last year I had just begun what has proven to be one of the biggest adventures of my life so far. It all started with an email inviting me to work in Abu Dhabi that got me to start thinking seriously about teaching overseas. I mean, I had always wanted to travel and teach, but never thought it was possible. But it was!! Who thought I'd ever end up in Korea?? Wow.

So, here I am with 12 weeks left on my one year contract. The debate now is "Should I stay or should I go?" At the time of this writing, the answer is to stay in Korea. I have applied for positions back home, but the economy is still rough and it is difficult to even get an interview, not to mention an actual job. However, I have had numerous interviews for new jobs in Korea. Just yesterday I received an official contract offer from a private school and I have also been approved for a position with the public school system (EPIK). Decisions are tough, but must be made.

A lot has happened these past 10 months, including the much anticipated arrival of my youngest son, Bryan, in Korea. I'm thrilled at his adventurous spirit and his willingness to hop on my hot pink bicycle and pedal all around Uljin, exploring new places and seeing new things. He is frustrated at not being able to read Hangul, but is polite and the shopkeepers are kind to him. He has visited my school and talked with my students, been fishing in the ocean, rode on the back of my scooter, been to parties and noraebang (Korean karaoke), and experienced some night life in Seoul. Not bad for 10 days in a foreign country as a 16 year old American teenager! Of course, this is a SMALL town and there are no hot, juicy hamburgers or thick, juicy steaks to be enjoyed here. Nor are there any other western English speaking teens. We're taking a short trip this weekend and I plan to surprise him with a hot, delicious, all-beef hamburger. He'll be in heaven!

I'm looking forward to the next 12 weeks and the adventures we'll have. Mud Festival is just around the corner...


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if he likes to write, but this would be a great opportunity for your son to keep a short memoir, even one sentence here and there, about his experiences. Being a 16-year-old American boy in Uljin IS a rarity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...that is a good idea, Jaclyn. I will mention it to him. You are right. It would be a great opportunity for him in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete