Friday, September 10, 2010

3 Airplanes, 2 Buses, 1 minor bump in the road...

So, indulge me while I tell you of my adventures on three airplanes, two buses, and only one minor mishap that got me to where I am sitting right now.

After spending the entire night awake and stuffing every thing I could into my new backpack, we set off for the airport at about 4:00 a.m. Amanda and Ashley accompanied me all the way to security to make sure I could make it through without having to leave anything behind. Much to everyone's surprise, I did!! :-) Of course, this was after we sat on the floor at the airport redistributing things in one of my suitcases to get it underweight. Lol During check-in, I discovered my seats had been changed due to a plane change. I was not happy about this as I had paid for the upgrade to “Economy Plus” in order to have a little extra legroom. The nice lady at United looked and found me a seat in an exit row for the flight from San Francisco to Seoul. That made me happy. Additionally, my seat from Chicago to San Francisco was a middle seat instead of the aisle I had requested. Ugh.. Remember these details, as they is important to how the story develops.

Well, the first flight from Cincinnati to Chicago was uneventful. I got an aisle seat and actually dozed off for a few minutes. That was much needed. Upon boarding the plane in Chicago to San Francisco, the kind lady who was in the aisle seat asked if I would like her to move over to the middle (my assigned seat). I told her that would be fine, thinking it was just so I could get settled without blocking the aisle. Turns out, her husband is sitting by the window, so she moves to the middle to sit by him! Yippee!! I get the aisle! I was happy and I got to sleep a bit. Once we landed in San Francisco, I had to locate the International Terminal and find my gate. This was a bit challenging, but I made it and even had time to grab a burger and call Dad. I was happy. Upon boarding, I discover my seat is NOT in an exit row, but one row behind yet an aisle. I was not happy, but proceeded to settle in with another American girl in my row along with an Army guy in the middle. Ok, this was going to be livable. Well, then the chatty dude flight attendant was talking with a guy in the exit row telling him he would have to change seats for some reason...I guess he was not qualified to be an exit row person. CHA CHING!! “Hey, I'll be happy to change seats!” This made Flight Attendant Dude happy and I began rearranging myself to the window seat in the exit row for a 12 and a half hour flight. **happy dance** Yay for leg room and a wall to rest my head for a much needed nap! I am convinced I had an angel on my shoulder as I got the seat I wanted each time. God is so good! :-)

It was a good flight and we landed in Seoul about 30 minutes ahead of schedule. I was shuffled through immigration without any delay **another happy dance** and headed to baggage claim to retrieve my really heavy suitcases. They arrived with me!!! I was happy with United Airlines. Very happy. I headed through Customs with ease and out to find the bus to take me to Dong Bus Terminal to get my bus to Uljin. I find the ticket counter, purchase my ticket and attempt to tell the driver where I am going. He sort of understands, but takes me all the way to the hotel he was servicing! Lol...Once we arrive there and I explain again with my translation book and an interpreter where I need to go, he agrees to take me back to the bus terminal! Wow! He could have totally made me get off and buy another ticket, but he takes me back, drops me off and three little Korean men assist me into the bus terminal with all of my luggage.

Now, allow me to paint this picture of me and my luggage to you. I have two very large black suitcases with a gray strap around each. I also have a smaller matching carry-on and a big blue laptop backpack and my big American pillow. I have managed to strap the carry-on to one of the big suitcases and they roll together. I then take the monster pillow and strap it to the other suitcase. I am wearing the giant blue backpack and towing one suitcase handle in each hand. Can you picture it? It is truly a sight! I manage to purchase a ticket to Uljin and find my place of departure. Now I must find a phone and call the director to let him know what time to meet me at the terminal in Uljin. I find the pay phones and have NO CLUE how to operate them, as there are four different versions at this phone bank. Finally, I ask a young Korean woman for assistance, show her the number and she helps me use the phone. Success!! My people here now know I have arrived and will be there to greet me!

I have about an hour to kill and am in desperate need of water. I find a little stand and purchase a bottle of water, some miniature looking oranges and a box of delicious chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. I love that the cookies are individually wrapped! I don't over indulge and can keep some for later. I walk around the bus terminal with luggage in tow and purchase an umbrella for 5000 Won (about $5.00) as it is raining during all this. I also find a bakery place that has these wonderful looking sandwiches that resemble grilled cheese. I buy one for about $2.00 and bit into it. Yes, it is cheese and something like ham in addition to the sweetest onions I have ever tasted! Yummm!! I needed that along with a little bottle of Coke. Now, mind you, I am giggling and smiling like a total cheeseball as I cannot believe I am actually here and have not gotten totally lost in this foreign land. I mean, I cannot read ANYTHING, yet am managing. Sorry, I found this quite humorous.

I head over to find my bus and the bus driver looks at me and my luggage and smiles and says something in Korean to two other drivers. They look at my tag to try to figure out where this alien has come from and where I am going. They read my name “Angela” and repeat it over and over as they assist me with my luggage. Finally! On the bus to Uljin I go! Upon arriving in Uljin at around 11:00 p.m., my director meets me and whisks me away to find dinner and take me to my new abode. He takes me to this little place and we order, (are you ready for this?), fried chicken and beer. LOL!! I was cracking up! He suggested Korean beer and, for me not being a beer drinker, it was quite good! He was impressed that I had studied a bit about the culture and knew not to pour my own drink, but also how to pour his and receive mine with two hands. “You have studied a lot!” I was happy he was impressed. He also introduced me to Kimchi which I am not sure if I like or not. I think it is an acquired taste, but I did not dislike it.

We talked for a bit about the school and what I will be doing. School starts at 2:00 pm and ends at 7:40 p.m. How cool is that? I have to be at school around 1:00 on Monday so I can get settled and that's it! It ends up being about a 30 hour work week. No late nights and no early mornings. I think I'm gonna like it here! Oh! And did I mention the Singing Rooms??? Oh yeah, baby, KARAOKE is the favorite pastime (along with drinking beer and eating fried chicken) and there are places everywhere!! Hmmm...sweet schedule, coastal city, a nice director, Korean beer is good, and I get to teach. Wow.

After eating, Mr. Cho took me to my studio apartment. It is on the 4th floor and is actually better than what I had hoped for. See the video for a short tour.


I am getting settled in and toured Uljin this afternoon with Mr. Cho. He showed where to shop, how to get to school, how to get to the ocean and even took me to a fish market where you can buy fresh, live fish, watch them kill it, then they cook it and you eat it. I cannot stomach that just yet. lol

Know that I miss you all and will continue to update my blog as I can. I'm hoping at least once a week, but will probably do more as interesting things happen. Once I get my apartment put together, I will post another video. So, after three airplanes, two buses, and a minivan, I have arrived. Stay tuned for more adventurous updates!

2 comments:

  1. JEALOUS! 2-7:40? Awesome! We work 9-6, but don't get home until 6:45 after the commute. Anyway, good for you! Beer and chicken is HUGE in Korea. And the two new teacher at my school love those same chocolate chip cookies :) Congrats. Sounds like you are off to a good start! Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still working on uploading the video. Will post as soon as I can get it to work. ugh...

    ReplyDelete