Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sights and Smells of a Sunday Afternoon...

Still battling jet lag, I ventured out into my new city to explore the market and see what other things I could find. I took my iPod (best purchase EVER!) so I could take video of my little excursion. (These videos are posted on my Facebook page as I cannot seem to get them to load on blogger).

Taking my big blue backpack (great purchase), my little red umbrella (even better purchase), and some Korean Won, I set out for a walk through town with no agenda other than to visit the Uljin Market. I wandered across the street, past the golf course (driving range, really), the park with the stange leaves in the pond, and into the main part of town, taking short little videos along the way.

Though the sign pointed left towards the Market, I spotted colorful umbrellas up ahead. My curiousity won out and I ventured straight instead of left. What I had discovered was actually another section of the Market. I was initially greeted by fish hanging under a tarp and was surrounded by foreign (by my sense of smell) scents of fish, kimchi, and spices. The women were all crouched down at their respective "booths" busily slicing, pealing, and cutting various foods. Most "stands" consisted of an umbrella, a couple of women, and various food items spread out on the ground in baskets or on top of cardboard or tarps.

Behind the open air market were the "brick and mortar" shops of make-up, clothing, shoes, and various other wares. I stumbled into a little cosmetic shop and bought a tube of lip gloss. The kind lady at the counter gave me "free samples" of other cosmetics and told me that my skin was "beautiful". Funny, I think Koreans have beautiful skin and I have freckles. lol Regardless, I showed my gratefulness by saying "thank you" in Korean and giving a slight bow. She invited me to come back again, which I am sure I will. :-)

Back onto the streets, I wandered around with this cheesy grin, smiling and nodding to those who stared and said "hello" to children who always answered back a kind "hello" to me. They study English, so it is safe to assume they speak at least basic English phrases. I then came upon a familiar nut (no, not one of my friends), or so I thought, and pulled out my dictionary. Sure enough, they were chestnuts! I did not buy any today, but will do so more into the winter months. They prepare them much as we do in the States, so I am looking forward to that tasty treat.

There was a lady surrounded by bushels of apples and I wandered by too slowly. She offered me a taste and they were indeed "quite delicious"! Since it is only me I have to feed, I tried to purchase only two apples. This was not going to happen. She explained it all to me in Korean, but I did finally understand that she only sold by the bowls in front of her or the big crates. I came home with 13 apples. I guess I could bake a pie, but I don't know how nor do I have an oven. :-)

I wandered through the market and then managed to find my way across the bridge to the other side of Uljin and where most of the night life happens. I happened upon the public elementary school, more chicken places, a bicycle shop (yay! I'm going to buy one), and various other little shops and restaurants. Finally back to "my side of town", I stopped in the local "burger joint" and had a snack of two cheese sticks and an iced tea. The tea tasted more like lemonade and was very good. I will have that again as it is right next to my school.

I then wandered in to a little supermarket and found a "pouf" for my interesting shower and some snack chips that taste kind of like Bugles. After exiting the supermarket, I was overwhelmed by a delicious aroma of roasted meat. As I ventured toward the place it was coming from, I decided it was indeed PORK!! I watched the man prepare the meat for a lady and then ordered some for myself. After all of this, I decided it was time to head home and enjoy my dinner and put my feet up for a while. I realized I had been walking for three hours!

I headed home, took out my trusty chopsticks (that's a sight!), put my feet up and relaxed the rest of the evening. So far I am enjoying my time in Uljin, South Korea and am looking forward to my first day of school. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment