Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Night Before Flight

It is almost 3 a.m. and my flight leaves at 6:05 a.m. The plan was to take a short nap prior to leaving for the airport. Hmmm...we see that is not happening. I'm sitting here listening to the stillness of the night. The windows are open and the cool breeze wafts over me sending chills down my spine. I love this time of night. All is still and quiet, except for the crickets and other creatures of the night singing their songs.

In this quiet, I am able to reflect on my journey thus far. It is hard for me to believe that I am actually going to Korea for a year...12 months...four seasons...on the other side of the world! I have so many wonderful friends who have been so encouraging and helpful these past few weeks. My parents have assisted me and my boys have been very supportive. I could not ask for better people in my life right now. I don't know if my journey would have gone so smoothly to this point if it had not been for all of these people.

Many have asked what I am most looking forward to. I have no idea really what to expect, though I am looking forward to being near the ocean and being able to just walk out to it every day. I'm looking forward to tasting crab tomorrow in this city known for crab. I'm looking forward to seeing my school and my classroom and meeting all of my students. The open air markets are intriguing to me, so I am looking forward to exploring the town this weekend.

I'm not looking forward to being so far away from my boys. As a mother, I have to worry about them. That's my job, but I would worry regardless. However, I know they have a host of people ready to help if they need help and lots of folks who love and care about them. I think we will all grow a lot over the next 12 months and I am very much looking forward to seeing the results of that.

It is almost time for me to make final checks and preparations. Passport, visa, money, ticket, luggage packed correctly, etc. I hope and pray that the peace I feel about this journey is real. I am not really nervous, but excited. I'm excited about the possibilities that await me. I'm excited about the adventure of a new culture and new people. I'm also excited about sharing this with those of you who are following my blog.

I'm not sure when I will have access to Internet again, but I am planning to update this blog at least once a week. I hope you enjoy reading it and, please, feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have. I'll see you on the other side of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment