Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Learning is a process...

While I am waiting for the blasted Visa, I have connected to a couple of teachers in Korea to try to figure out exactly what I may have gotten myself into. So far, a wealth of information has come from an American teacher named Jaclyn who has been in Seoul for just three short months. As my preparation progresses, Jaclyn has been teaching me more and more about what I don't know.

Here are some examples:

1. Final Visa Interview: Well, I thought I just sent paperwork to Korea (after getting it Apostilled and notarized and blah blah blah...lol), they issued a Visa, and off I could go on a big airplane! Nope! Apparently, I have to go to Chicago to the Korean Consulate General and have a final interview there and my Visa will be finalized within three days of interviewing. Who knew?? Not me! The good news is I found Megabus!! http://www.megabus.com/ Oh yeah!! For just a mere $39 I can hop on this Mega Bus and be in Chicago in just 5 1/2 hours, take care of my business there, then hop on the bus for another $39 back to beautiful downtown Cincinnati! Why would anyone even think of driving?? I will be taking the Megabus! (fyi...Cincinnati to Columbus is only $12 bucks!!)

2. Cell Phone: I have been investigating cell phones in the States to see what kind of international/global plan would be best. Of course, I have a loyalty to Verizon because my son, Brandon, works there. However, this stuff is EXPENSIVE!! Apparently, cell phones (or "hand phones as they call them in Korea) are much easier and less expensive to pick up over there. The same is true of phone cards. Of course, my plan to purchase a laptop with a web cam is in order so I can Skype (http://www.skype.com/) my family and friends back home. Korea is 13 hours ahead of Cincinnati, and I will be free in the mornings when you will all be free in the evenings! Perfect! And FREE!!

3. Internet: I suppose since I will be an "alien" in Korea, it will be difficult for me to get some bills in my name. This would include Internet and cable. Well, I have no real need for cable if I have Internet, so that is a MUST. It seems that most schools provide some way for the foreign teachers (yes, I would be a "foreign" teacher) to get Internet access in their apartments. I mean, what will I do without Internet in my little dwelling??? I must find out how my school handles this.

4. Trash: I suppose there is quite the trash problem in Korea, especially in the larger cities like Seoul and Busan. Recycling is mandatory and there is not a lot of room for disposable trash to be disposed of properly, nor are there many (if any from what I gather) public trash cans along the sidewalks. And get this...it's okay to litter! Seriously! There are people who are hired to simply pick up wrappers and trash off the sidewalk that people legally drop there throughout the day!! This issue will be interesting to see how it differs from big cities to the small village where I am going to be.

5. Korean Kindness: Everyone I have talked to expresses how sociable and kind Koreans are. I sure hope that is true. To date, I only really have one experience with Koreans. On Sunday, I approached an Asian couple at church. I had noticed they always carry a foreign Bible, and it appeared to be Korean text (hangul). Upon speaking to them, I discovered they had come to the U.S. from Seoul 25 years ago and settled in Cincinnati. I asked Mrs. Kim if she could help me learn some Korean before I leave. Well, she has a CRAZY work schedule, but called me yesterday with the names of two Korean churches that offer FREE Korean lessons! I thought that was very sweet of her. I checked out the websites and will be calling them to get more details. I figure I really should learn how to get directions, shop and eat. :-)

So, these are the little things I have stumbled upon thus far. If you have any tidbits of info, please feel free to post them here! As for now, the waiting continues...

3 comments:

  1. Glad to know things are coming along. Don't worry too much about a cell phone and internet. They are pretty easy to come by. I wouldn't do an International plan with a US company. Too expensive. You should be able to get a cell phone and load it with phone cards. I'm not sure about internet, but I think you will be able to get access...I'll ask my friend about it that lives there and is Korean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Lachelle about phone. My experience is you can get a SIMS card there for Intl calls and it will be relatively cheap. You may also need a separate SIMS card for Asia/Euro calls. Google SIMS card Korea International calling or something like that.

    I am laughing at the Visa process. It's so different from country to country. Once when going to China, I had to make a 12+ hour stop in Hong Kong where by pre-arrangement my passport was whisked away via bicycle messenger. Then it returned late the next morning about an hour before I needed to leave for my flight to China ... thankfully, with the bright shiny China Visa stamp inside.

    Yes, Megabus is cool. The earlier you make your reservations prior to departure, the lower the price can be. A friend rode roundtrip for $24! It's a REALLY good deal & goes to other cities too.

    My always-carries to other countries include a Berlitz language book (small, compact & has key phrases you can just point to if the person can read) and a D-K tour book of the city/country. DK guides have great maps in them, plus point out key landmarks/sights. Other tips: get a map in the local language that you can overlay with your English map - sometimes phone books have dual-language maps (this may help more with Seoul vs the little village :-) ). Carry your address with you in English/Korean - if you're staying at a hotel, the hotel postcard is perfect for this ... and it has a picture which makes it easier for those who don't read. Yes, not all taxi-drivers read. This was sometimes a problem in some Asian countries I've traveled.

    Awesome connections you've made already. It will definitely pave the pathway!

    Thanks for starting the blog. It will be fun to see your adventures unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelle: Thanks for checking things out for me. I am so excited and nervous and happy and scared and excited and, and....lol :-)

    AK: I picked up a phrase book last weekend and have been trying it out. It is challenging, to say the least, but I intend to carry it EVERYWHERE with me. The China Visa made me giggle. I can't even comprehend handing over my passport to a courier on a bicycle!! Oh my...What adventures await!

    ReplyDelete