Monday, August 23, 2010

Q and A

I keep getting a lot of the same questions over and over from various people, so I thought I would take a blog posting and put up some of the most common.



Q: Where are you going?

A: Uljin, South Korea. It is a small fishing village on the east coast of S. Korea north of Pohang. They are known for crab and have a yearly crab festival that is attended by people from all over the country.



Q: What are you going to do there?

A: Eat crab and drink soju! lol...just kidding!! I will be teaching English to elementary students at a private school (called hagwons).



Q: How long will you be gone?

A: I will only be gone for a short 12 months. It will fly by, I'm sure! And with technology, no one will even really miss me!



Q: What about the boys (i.e. my children/kiddos/offspring/etc.)? Are you taking them?

A: Brandon is on his own and doing well for himself. He is young and makes mistakes, but he is working hard to reach his goals. Bryan decided to go live with his dad before I even began entertaining this journey. He is a freshman in high school and will be just fine. Both of the boys are very supportive and have made sure to set up Skype and learn a bit about Korea. They know it is only for a year and I will be available at the click of a mouse!



Q: Where will you live?

A: The school provides an apartment for me at no cost. It is within walking distance of the school, so plenty of exercise for me! :-)



Q: Is it expensive to live there?

A: No. One of the reasons I chose South Korea was because of the low cost of living. I am actually going to be able to save some money.



Q: Are you taking all of your stuff with you?

A: No. I am taking two suitcases and a carry-on full of clothes and teaching supplies I cannot live without! My apartment is fully furnished and I will be able to purchase some things I need once I get there. Everything I am leaving behind is being put into storage and will be here for me when I return. It's kind of sad that I can fit all of my worldly posessions into a 10x10 storage unit!



Q: Do you speak Korean?

A: Nope. Not a word. However, I have purchased a phrase book so I can learn key phrases and will carry it with me everywhere! I also will be immersed into the culture and will basically be forced to learn. It's sink or swim time! (Or maybe it is swim or starve! LOL)



Q: Don't they eat dog over there?

A: I have to laugh every time I hear this question. The answer is, yes, they do but it is not as common as everyone seems to think. It is believed to increase a man's stamina and strength. I am not a man and know that caffiene can give me any boost I need. lol Just like in the U.S., I will be avoiding foods I dislike. Dog will not even be entertained (or eaten) by this girl. I just can't do it.



Q: What are you going to do when you get back?

A: I'm sure I will want to enjoy time with my family and friends I have missed. I will begin looking for a job prior to leaving Korea next year (yay Internet!) so, hopefully, I will have a job to come home to.

These are the most common questions, but if you have others, please feel free to post below as I'm sure others have some of the same questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment